adakah masih ada rasa malu?

drp Umran bin Husain ra, Rasullulah telah bersabda
'malu tidak mendatangkan sesuatu kecuali yg baik'
(riwayat bukhari)

Tuesday, September 2, 2025

Mindset

 Bismillah.

I am back to this space! I am trying to start journaling again.. try.. that's the keyword. I used to love writing, and journaling helped me a lot through my 20s. I gave up journaling after it was no longer effective during my depression phase (around 2014-2015). 

So,

I went to a motivation clinic (yes, at this age.. never too old yes) last weekend. The first thing the motivator and his coaches keep reminding was about setting the mind. He calls it 3-Min.utes-Lock. Before going to sleep every night, focus and ask yourself 3 questions:

  1. what will be my incre.dible day?
  2. what will be my goo.d day?
  3. what will be my per.fect day?
Think about what you could/would/should do to have an incredible day, a good day, and a perfect day. 

For example, it would be incredible if I could wake up early and solat sunat before Subuh, it would be a good day if my stomach does not get upset and distract my work, and it would be perfect if I can manage to write up a whole paragraph in my thesis. Then, for 3 minutes, try to lock these things in your mind before closing your eyes. Another version suggested by the motivator was "Tomorrow I want to lock my hunger and my bladder so that I could focus on my chapters (thesis) first."

In the morning, watch your mind helping your body to move accordingly. Mind power! 

Well, at least this is what I understand la (lol).

Actually, I used to do something like this a lot during my younger years. And it worked!

For example, when I was 13, I had an evening session school, so I tend to sleep in after Subuh. But before going to sleep, I would tell my mind that I want to wake up at 9 am sharp because Spongebob started at that exact time every school day. So, I did wake up at 9 am sharp every day. I never need to set an alarm. 

Another example was during university years. I would mostly commute from university to my hometown via the train. The journey from college to the UKM station and then changing lane at KLSentral (I would need to go upstairs and then go back downstairs for this), plus the hours of waiting, was very exhausting. As soon as I boarded the train at KLSentral, I would always sleep until I reached Shah Alam station. So, before I close my eyes, I would set my mind to sleep only until Shah Alam station. And almost every time, only when the train stopped at Shah Alam station would I open my eyes. I was very confident with my mind setting back then.

Another example, during school years (again) I would say some prayers before going to sleep. The usual doa sebelum tidur, ayatul kursi, 3 qul, and then some personal doa. But, I tend to go to sleep very late because my principle at that time was never ever go to sleep before I finished my homeworks. So, whenever I finished late (after 2 am) I would pray like this, 

"Ya Allah, make my sleep be enough, make me wake up feeling rested as though I have been sleeping for 8 hours, and may I wake up feeling energetic and happy and ready for everything. May tomorrow be better than yesterday."

And I never feel like I don't get enough sleep. Even for those days that I didn't get to sleep a single wink, I would still have the energy to do things and friends would be so surprised when I told them I didn't sleep the night before. 

Or maybe it was youth? I thought so for a long time.

Anyhow, now I want to try again.
Mind setting = saying your prayers mindfully
Let see if I could beat this old body with mind setting.

Pasang niat dulu. Bila nak start? Let see. Lol.

~~~

There are some 'mindset' or 'keywords' scattered here and there by the motivator, and I restructured them like this:

The hardest thing to do is to convince yourself.
  • Do positive affirmations every day.
  • Reading and saying positive things would lead to positive mindset.
  • All behaviours are belief driven
  • Affirmation: statement of truth or a positive phrase you repeat to yourself to foster a desired mindset, increase self-esteem, or influence your thoughts and actions
  • Affirmations in Islam are positive declarations of faith, gratitude, and reliance on Allah, rooted in the teachings of the Quran and Sunnah.

Nothing is perfect but never stop trying to perfect things
  • Fall 7 times, stand up 8 times
  • Consistency - finish what you start
  • Limitation is only in your mind

Everything in this world is from Allah
  • One of the highest things in life Allah would give is HIKMAH (kebijaksanaan)
  • "Dia memberikan hikmah kepada siapa yang Dia kehendaki, dan barang siapa yang diberikan hikmah, maka sungguh dia telah diberikan kebaikan yang banyak" (QS. Al-Baqarah: 269)
  • With hikmah, even enemies can turn to allies/friends

Don't be a follower, be a student.
  • Get around successful people
  • Walk alone, you'll walk faster. Walk together, you'll walk further.
  • Islam encourages JAMAAH

Words are more POWERFUL than food.

You see, most of these words are cliches. You heard about it so many times. They are repeated countless times simply because they are true. But the thing is, you always need to remind yourself (or someone to remind you). Humans are forgetful (Hermann Ebbinghaus, 1885).



Ok, that's all for this post.
Last night, I have set my mind to do journaling today.
I may or may not publish another post today.

Till then.
Assalamualaikum.

No comments: